|
|||||
This week, Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg testified in a landmark social media trial, claiming the company only wanted to make Instagram "useful" and not addictive. In this episode, we chat about Zuck's testimony and the potential implications of this trial for social media companies. Also, we dive into the latest effects of the RAMaggedon RAM shortage, including a potential PlayStation 6 delay and a dire future for practically every consumer electronics company.Subscribe!iTunesSpotifyPocket CastsStitcherGoogle PodcastsTopicsMark Zuckerberg testifies that Instagram was meant to be useful, not addictive in social media addiction trial 1:27Meta reportedly plans to launch a smartwatch later this year 13:23The RAMageddon will likely kill some small consumer electronics companies 15:54Apple could unveil a MacBook, new M5 Pro chip, and iPhone 17e at March 4th event 26:26Googles Pixel 10a arrives on March 5 32:17Email leaked to 404 media suggests Ring had plans to use its Search Party function for wider surveillance 34:48Listener mail 45:14Working on 48:40Pop culture picks 49:04 CreditsHost: Devindra HardawarProducer: Ben EllmanMusic: Dale North and Terrence OBrienThis article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/ai/engadget-podcast-instagram-on-trial-and-the-ramaggedon-rages-on-131526178.html?src=rss
Category:
Marketing and Advertising
The US State Department is building a web portal, where Europeans and anyone else can see online content banned by their governments, according to Reuters. It was supposed to be launched at Munich Security Conference last month, but some state department officials reportedly voiced their concerns about the project. The portal will be hosted on freedom.gov, which currently just shows the image above. Freedom is Coming, the homepage reads. Information is power. Reclaim your human right to free expression. Get Ready.Reuters says officials discussed making a virtual private network function available on the portal and making visitors traffic appear as if they were from the US, so they could see anything unavailable to them. While its a state department project, The Guardian has traced the domain to the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), which is a component of the US Department of Homeland Security. Homeland also serves as the administrator for the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The project could drive the wedge further between the US and its European allies. European authorities dont usually order broad censorships preventing their citizens from being able to access large parts of the internet. Typically, they only order the blocking of hate speech, terrorist propaganda, disinformation and anything illegal under the EUs Digital Services Act or the UKs Online Safety Act. If the Trump administration is alleging that theyre gonna be bypassing content bans, what theyre gonna be helping users access in Europe is essentially hate speech, pornography, and child sexual abuse material, Nina Jankowicz, who served as the executive director of Homeland Securitys Disinformation Governance Board, told The Guardian. The board was very short-lived and was disbanded a few months after it was formed, following complaints by Republican lawmakers that it would impinge on peoples rights to free speech. When asked about the project, the state department said it didnt have a program specifically meant to circumvent censorship in Europe. But the spokesperson said: Digital freedom is a priority for the State Department, however, and that includes the proliferation of privacy and censorship-circumvention technologies like VPNs."This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/big-tech/us-website-freedomgov-will-allow-europeans-to-view-hate-speech-and-other-blocked-content-130000014.html?src=rss
Category:
Marketing and Advertising
Los Angeles County has sued Roblox for "unfair and deceptive business practices," claiming the platform's moderation and age-verification systems are inadequate. "Roblox portrays its platform as a safe and appropriate place for children to play," the complaint states. "In reality, and as Roblox well knows, the design of its platform makes children easy prey for pedophiles." Representatives accused Roblox of failing to implement adequate platform safety features to prevent child endangerment. "Specifically, Roblox has not effectively moderated game content or enforced age-appropriate restrictions and warnings established by the creators, allowing the predatory and inappropriate language and interactions between users to persist," the County stated. It also said the platform failed to disclose any danger to children, including sexual content and the risk of predators. Roblox rejected the allegations, saying the platform was built around safety. "We have advanced safeguards that monitor our platform for harmful content and communications, and users cannot send or receive images via chat, avoiding one of the most prevalent opportunities for misuse seen elsewhere online," the company told the AFP. The LA county complaint is the latest in a string of lawsuits from US regions including Florida, Texas and Kentucky. The Attorney General in Louisiana also accused the company of having a "lack of safety protocols" that endanger the safety of children in favor of "growth, revenue and profits." That state's lawsuit cited a specific example of a subject arrested last year that used voice-altering tech to mimic a younger feminine voice to lure and sexually exploit young players. Roblox has said that it has about 144 million daily active users around the world, with over 40 percent of them under the age of 13. However, it has faced repeated accusations that it doesn't do enough to protect young players. In 2024, Roblox banned players under 13 from accessing some types of in-game content and restricted their ability to message with other players outside of specific games. Last year, the company also began asking tens of millions of children to verify their age with a selfie. This article originally appeared on Engadget at https://www.engadget.com/gaming/la-county-lawsuit-accuses-roblox-of-exposing-children-to-grooming-and-exploitation-124523028.html?src=rss
Category:
Marketing and Advertising
All news |
||||||||||||||||||
|
||||||||||||||||||